Friday, September 4, 2009

Thrift vs. Health, a food dilema

I have always tried to be smart with my money. Food is a place that this is tough. I really like food and I like buying expensive ingredients to make yummy food to eat. This is costly.
Through Jungle Quest, I now have a membership to Sam's club, which means more food for less money. I did a price comparison survey (for incomplete) and found a remarkable difference in the price of food at Publix (grocery store) vs. Sams/BJs (wholesalers). Many items cost 40% less at the Wholesalers vs. the same food at Publix. This is a good thing when it comes to being thrifty.

Then comes the other half of the equation. Lauren likes for me to eat healthy and in an environmentally conscious manner. I like to eat healthy and in an environmentally conscious manner. However, organic, locally grown foods from Whole Foods and Native Sun are expensive, in contradiction to my attempts at cheapness.

Maybe these two things can help each other out. If I am careful, I can buy some food at Sam's for cheap and in bulk while also buying nice organic veggies from Native Sun. This gives me a sort of "average" cost, while getting me the better healthy food. If I am careful about which of the foods from Sam's I buy, I can try to get foods that are still "ok" for me (not necessarily good, but not definitely bad) and keep my healthiness level higher than it has been in the past, without destroying my budget.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. We hear ya. And one thing I recently thought of that helped me justify buying some things at Sam's is that Sam's is doing quite a bit (ours here in AR, anyway) to be "green." Trying to make their building more sustainable anyway...(Not that we shop there very often, but it did make me feel a little better about some of the things we buy there.

    ReplyDelete